Today, I am excited to have Amy Brock McNew here as she gets ready to launch her debut novel to the world. I am a part of her book tour, so make sure you hop on over to visit the others on the tour! First a little intro:
Amy Brock McNew doesn’t just write speculative fiction, she lives and breathes it. Exploring the strange, the supernatural, and the wonderfully weird, Amy pours her guts onto the pages she writes, honestly and brutally revealing herself in the process. Nothing is off-limits. Her favorite question is “what if?” and she believes fiction can be truer than our sheltered and controlled realities. Visit AmyBrockMcNew.com to learn more about this
Amy is another awesome person I met at Realm Makers last year. So without further ado, please welcome Amy!
Thanks so much for having me today!
Please tell us a bit about you.
What do you like to do when you aren’t writing? Any hobbies?
Ah, there’s not much time when I’m not writing! Or at least editing, marketing, and everything else that goes along with it. When I do catch a minute, I love to read. To say I’m a voracious reader is an understatement. I eat new books up almost as fast as I down bacon cheeseburgers. Usually I indulge before bed. Or, you know, when I should be sleeping. The books, not the burgers! Other than that, I love to sing. We have this PS game called SingStar. Karaoke. It’s awesome. When I’m stressed I punch on the heavy bag in the garage. Or practice throwing knives. That’s a new hobby I’m grooving. And I crochet. Yes. I know. Doesn’t sound like me, but I love it. It’s soothing and I like creating things.
Are you a coffee or tea person?
Coffee! Absolutely. 100%. The stronger the better. My fave is from a local shop, Coffee Junkiez. Mocha with 6, yes 6, shots of espresso. Heaven in a cup. Though I do love a nice big glass of sweet iced tea.
Do you have any children or pets?
Both! Sometimes I even mix their names up. Hehe. We have 4 total; his, hers, and one ours. 17 – 22. And now a new grandbaby. Yea!
As for pets, we lost Princess Jasmine the cat this year, so we’re one down in our menagerie. But we do have a 9 year old Boxer, a Chihuahua, 6 crawfish, and various other fish. Our zoo is in a rebuilding stage.
What are some of your favorite books?
My past favorites are a series by Gilbert Morris, The House of Winslow. I know, not spec fic. But he has this style I love. The way he works battles scenes especially. Current? Tosca Lee is at the top of the list. Demon? Yeah, one of my favorites. I wanna write like her when I grow up. Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander Series. I love the twists and turns of blending historical with speculative. Also, Blood for Blood by Ben Wolf. I love the story. I love how he doesn’t just think outside of the box, he discards the box completely. I mean, a vamp that gets saved? What could be cooler? That’s guts. Guts on the page. 😉
Tell us a little about Rebirth. What inspired you to write this story?
Writing what I wanted to read but couldn’t find. I wanted something gritty, a little dark, and grew organically from a Christian viewpoint, while dealing with real world issues. The tough ones no one wants to crack open and dissect. A lot of that comes from my personal experiences. I wanted characters that real, hurting, broken, emotionally and mentally raw people could relate to. And I definitely had to have the supernatural/paranormal element.
What do you hope people walk away with after they finish reading this book?
I want them to know there’s always hope. That when you get a second chance at something you lost, grab on to it like a bulldog with a bone. Don’t give up and don’t let go.
What are you working on now? What’s next for you?
I just finished the draft of book two, Reconciliation. That means I’m starting on book 2.5, which is a novella titled Resistance. It tells the story of two vital secondary characters that I know the readers will fall in love with as much as I have.
And just for fun, if you could visit any time and place in the world, where would you go and why?
I’ve always been fascinated with New Orleans, especially its inception and subsequent explosion as a Southern hub. I think it’d be amazing to be able to go back and experience the excitement as the city came alive. I’m a history nut, what can I say?
Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by!
Liz Brantley has a gift she wants to return. Able to see and fight demonic forces, she has spent her life alone, battling the minions of hell bent on her destruction, running from the God who gave her this curse. Drawn to her abilities, the demon Markus unleashes havoc on her hometown and pulls Liz further into the throes of battle. She’s desperate for a normal life. When she meets a mysterious man who seems unaware of the mystical realm that haunts her, the life she’s always wanted moves within reach. But her slice of normal slips from her grasp when an old flame, Ryland Vaughn, reappears with secrets of his own. Secrets that will alter her destiny. Torn between two worlds, Liz is caught in an ancient war between good and evil. And she isn’t sure which side to choose.
Available for preorder at a special price of $2.99. The price will increase once it releases to $4.99.
Connect with the author!
Social Media Links:
Follow the rest of the tour!
- Monday, May 16th: Zachary Totah (www.ZacharyTotah.com) Interview with the Characters of Rebirth
- Tuesday, May 17th: Michele Israel Harper (www.MicheleIsraelHarper.com) Book Review
- Wednesday, May 18th: Jennette Mbewe (www.jlmbewe.com) Unique Author Interview
- Thursday, May 19th: Ralene Burke (www.RaleneBurke.com) Fun Mix Launch Post Plus Review
- Friday, May 20th: Laurie Lucking (www.landsuncharted.com) Unique Author Interview
- Friday, May 20th: H.A. Titus (www.hatitus.com) Unique Author Interview
- Saturday, May 21st: Liz Carr (www.pennymindingmom.com) Book Review
- Sunday, May 22nd: Robin Pack (www.snippetsoffaith.com) Book Review
- Monday, May 23rd: Deanna Fugett (www.quillsandinkblotts.blogspot.com) Unique Author Interview
- Monday, May 23rd: Janeen Ippolito (www.janeenippolito.com) Book Review
- Tuesday, May 24th: Amy Brock McNew (www.AmyBrockMcNew.com) Release Day Feature!
- Wednesday, May 25th: Marie-Theres Werner (www.thinkjournalisticblog.wordpress.com) Book Review
- Thursday, May 26th: Gretchen E. K. Engel at Scriblerians (www.thescriblerians.wordpress.com) (Facebook Party Day!) Unique Author Interview, focusing on Amy’s early days
- Friday, May 27th: Kristen Stieffel at New Authors Fellowship (www.newauthors.wordpress.com) Post-Launch Feature
- Friday, May 27th: Avily Jerome (www.AvilyJerome.com) Book Review Plus